Subscribe Now: Feed Icon

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Mr. Speedy, X-Ray Orderly

This is Mark's journal entry from his experience at Taipei Veterans' General Hospital the night before going in for surgery.

X-ray orderly shows up. Speaks no English. We agree that I am the guy on his sheet of paper. He mimes taking  a picture and motions for me to follow. He has candy-striped pink & white glasses.

He takes off down the hallway. A tall guy dressed in the same standard-issue outfit (blue for guys, pink for girls) seems to have been corralled as well. We follow Mr. Speedy down the hall to the elevators. Mr Speedy squeezes us into a crowd that's getting into that little lift. We go to down to the first floor and follow him left? No, right. Ok. Mr. Speedy squeezes between the wall and a moving gurney and takes off, leaving Tall Guy and me stuck in traffic.

We catch up with him at the counter. He says sit. We sit. A nice young lady with a quizzical expression is relieved when I say my Chinese name. Now her piece of paper makes sense!

A young guy in a lab coat helps me stand--no, not that way, the other way--for the X-ray. It's all done in a second.

Mr. Speedy says sit. I sit. Mr. Speedy says let's go. Tall Guy and I follow him right, no, left, to a different elevator.

The doors open. The elevator is a construction zone. We get in anyway. A lady who seemed to be waiting to get in doesn't get in. The doors close. The doors open. The waiting lady gingerly gets into the elevator. The doors close.

The lady pushes floor #7. Nothing.

Mr. Speedy pushes floor #7, wiggling his finger a little bit as he does so. Ah, now the number 7 is lit.

We go up. The lady gets off at the 7th floor. The doors close. We proceed to the 10th floor. Mr. Speedy breezes down the hallway. It looks familiar. Hey, this is General Surgery! We're back!

I guess...yeah, we're done.

Tall Guy and I find our way back to our rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment